Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In transit

(Originally written offline on May 21 at 7:48pm Eastern, on Alitalia flight AZ623 from Dulles to Milan)

We got our first taste of Italian administration today when our flight out of DC was two hours late. Now, late flights happen from time to time, but most American airlines have at least learned how to handle customer relations when they happen—for instance, giving regular updates on flight status. The Alitalia personnel gave few announcements and, when I asked for updates, looked at me as if they couldn't quite understand why I wanted to know. Oh, well. I only hope we don't miss our connection in Milan. Maybe we'll be lucky and that flight will be delayed as well.

One other thing: We didn't board the plane right at the gate; we boarded shuttles which drove to the plane and hooked directly up to it. There were enough people to fill two shuttles. I was impressed for a moment when I saw that they were using both the front and rear doors, connecting both shuttles at once. The moment passed when I realized that they hadn't binned the passengers by row, and that we, who had seats in the back of the plane, were boarding at the front. As we shuffled down the aisles, we passed several people who had the reverse problem.

I grabbed a window seat, making my brother sit on the aisle next to me, and I'm looking out at clouds now—over the Atlantic, I presume. As we took off, I realized that we will be leaving the sun behind, flying literally through the night, and seeing it rise again on the other side before we land. For every hour we fly, we will advance almost two hours in sun time. (Which reminds me, I'd better get some sleep.) Indeed, as I write this, I can look back and see the sun floating on the horizon, about to descend below the clouds.

I'm now reading a Lonely Planet Italian phrasebook that I bought my mom for Mother's Day, trying to learn more words. The pre-flight announcements were given in both English and Italian; I listened hard but could usually only pick out isolated words and short phrases: questo volo (this flight), l'uscita (the exit), in casa d'emergencia (in case of emergency), etc. At one point I understood a whole sentence, and was very pleased with myself, but now I've forgotten what it was.

I don't think the reality of this trip has hit me yet. I had a brief flicker of excitement as we were taking off, as the physical ascent of the plane made me realize, "Oh wow, I'm actually going to another country! Another continent! Another hemisphere!" I think I will pull out my iPod later and listen to "Journey to the Island" (from Jurassic Park); that would fit my mood perfectly.

1 Comments:

Blogger ماليكاا said...






شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض 0500091013 ارخص شركة نقل عفش – إدارة سعودية
شركات نقل الاثاث بشمال الرياض هدف شركتنا الوصول لجميع انحاء المملكه وخارجها فتعمل الشركة جاهدة كي تستطيع توفير عده فروع على مستوى المملكه ككل ومنطقه شمال الرياض هي منطقه حيويه تتميز بكثرة الانتقالات اليها فمع شركتنا وفر لعملائنا خدمة نقل الاثاث الى منطقة شمال الرياض فشركات نقل الاثاث بشمال الرياض لديها
اكبر اسطول سيارات مجهز لنقل الاثاث ولديها افضل عمال مدربين
على اعلى مستوى فى الاحتراف وتحمل الاشياء الثقيلة والثمينة .
شركة نقل الاثاث لنقل وتغليف الاثاث والعفش محترفه فى مجالها وتقدمه بصورة محترفه ايضا .
لدينا فنيين نجاره وفنيين فك وتركيب لان شركة من افضل شركات نقل الاثاث فى الرياض
والمناطق الاخرى
افضل شركة نقل عفش بالرياض

نحن لدينا اكبر السيارات المجهزة لعمليه نقل الاثاث ولدينا جميع المقاسات ايضا داخل الرياض
لدينا افضل العمال والمعدات المجهزة لهذه الخدمه وهى خدمه نقل الاثاث ورفع الاثاث ايضا
تحتاج عمليات نقل الأثاث الي كفائة و خبرة عالية لان معني حدوث أي خدش او كسر ولو صغير في قطع الأثاث اي لا يمكن استخدامها مرة اخري لذلك تعتبر الدقة و الكفائة هما العاملان الأساسيان لنجاح كافة عمليات نقل الأثاث و هما المميزان لاي شركة نقل أثاث فالدقة مطلوبة في التعامل مع قطع الأثاث عند الفك و التركيب فعمليات الفك و التركيب تعد من أصعب و أخطر الأمور و في هذه الخطوة يحدث كوارث في قطع الأثاث لأنها تحتاج الي دقه عالية جدا جدا من قبل النجاريين حتي لا يحدث اي خدش لقطعة الاثاث و بالتأكيد أدوات الفك و التركيب الحديثة لها دور مهم و أساسي في حماية قطع الأثاث من الخدوش .
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض

كما انه متوفر لدى شركتنا خدمة تخزين الاثاث فلدينا الاماكن الجهزه لاستيعاب تخزين الاثاث لاي مده ولاطول فترة يريدها العميل فلدينا الامان المجهز للحفاظ على الاثاث من الرطوبه وتغيير الجو والحشرات لدينا امهر العماله الثي تقوم بخزين الاثاث باحدث الطرق والاساليب

نقل اثاث بالرياض
[URL=https://elawaeil.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D9%86%D9%82%D9%84-%D8%A3%D8%AB%D8%A7%D8%AB-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B6-%D8%B9%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A9-%D9%81%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%8A%D9%86%D9%8A%D8%A9/]نقل اثاث بالرياض[/URL]

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home